Mission and Goals
The mission of the CCAOM is to advance acupuncture and Oriental medicine by promoting educational excellence within the field. The philosophy of the Council is based on respect for the broad range of traditions of acupuncture and Oriental medicine and a commitment to academic freedom.
The goals of the CCAOM are:
- to support the development and improvement of education programs in acupuncture and Oriental medicine;
- to develop recommended curricula for degree, diploma and other educational programs;
- to support and foster academic freedom and a diversity of educational approaches within the field;
- to encourage scientific research, innovative teaching methodology, and faculty development;
- to provide a forum for discussion of issues relevant to member colleges;
- to serve as an information resource for member colleges, other colleges and organizations, regulatory agencies, and the public;
- to encourage ethical business practices among member colleges;
- to work with accreditation, certification, licensing and regulatory agencies to develop appropriate educational standards and requirements;
- to promote increased public access to high quality health care provided by well-trained practitioners of acupuncture and Oriental medicine; and
- to take a leadership role in acupuncture safety through publication, education, and certification of a national standard for clean needle technique.